Wednesday, December 1, 2010

transformers

Statue at the U.N. headquarters

This oracle appears in both Isaiah and Micah:

"He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples;
they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war no more (Isaiah 2:4 and Micah 4: 3)."

These words, both in their beauty and in their judgment, can speak to our time.  Now, I do not think that this side of the resurrection our world will be without violence or destruction.  Nor am I advocating for the dissolution of the Pentagon.  But that does not mean that we should punt and just wait around for the Last Day when the lion shall lie down with the lamb.

This is what disturbs me: the Episcopal Peace Fellowship reports that we spend $720 million a day on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  And right here in Waco 30% of our population lives below the poverty line.
 
I do not say these things because I am a liberal or a conservative or any sort of "-ist."  I only say these things because I believe that if this is God's final vision of the world, then I'm all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment