Saturday, July 3, 2010

"I think I got lipstick on your dress."

This evening, I had the honor, joy, and privilege of serving at the wedding of Steve Chudej and Elizabeth Wilson.  It was a fantastic event, full of all the happiness that comes with weddings.  Blessings to the newlyweds!

As the assistant officiant, I had an extraordinary view of the proceedings.  Watching the bride and her mother make their way down the aisle was awe-inspiring; watching members of the bridal party furtive blot away tears was heart-warming.  This wasn't work for me, it was simply downright fun.

But here's something that was sort of funny: during the peace, I gave the bride a hug in my flowing cassock and surplice (the big white robes that clergy wear).  Then, after we pulled away she gasped and whispered, "I think I got lipstick on your dress."  Poor Elizabeth, she was truly upset!  Like I cared, this was her day, and it wasn't my dress.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Am glad you are finding joy and fun (and humor) in being invited into the most intimate moments in the lives of Christ's flock.
    And just think - it is only Day 3!

    ReplyDelete